In Ayurveda, Vata is comprised of the air and space elements. Vata is responsible for our movement, energy and our nerves. Vata controls how our blood flows, our breathing, our digestion and elimination and our nervous system.
Whether some of us have Vata in our unique constitution or not, we can all experience moments or seasons of Vata imbalance. Vata imbalances may look like skin dryness, constipation or bloating, insomnia, anxiety or restlessness. In order to keep Vata balanced in the body, we can turn to aromatherapy to find healing and restore balance through the use of essential oils.
In general, Vata dosha is balanced by sweet, grounding and warming scents. Think oils that are from wood or roots of the plants as well as musky, heavier oils.
Best Essential Oils for Vata
- Patchouli (Pogostemon Cablin) is a powerful essential oil that helps anxiety and depression symptoms. The aroma is sweet, earthy and sensual. Patchouli is grounding, centering and stabilizing. Patchouli blends nicely with other citrus and floral oils. Patchouli is a feature in our Evening Spritz.
- Cedarwood (Cedrus Atlantica) is helpful for any type of Vata imbalance as well as anxiety. Cedarwood has a distinct woody aroma that is relaxing and soothing. Cedarwood is in our Serene Roller Blend and Ritual Spritz.
- Vetiver (Chrysopogon Zizanioides) is one of my personal favorites. Vetiver is earthy and warm with a deep and sweet aroma. This is the best oil to use when in need of feelings of groundedness and stability. Vetiver is in our Restore Diffuser Blend and Sleep Spritz.
- Lavender (Lavandula Angostifolia) is often called "the mother of essential oils" because of its numerous benefits and overall harmonizing qualities when blended with other oils. It soothes and calms which is perfect for Vata, as well as all doshas. Lavender is a sattvic oil, meaning it brings balance and harmony to all.
- Ginger (Zingiber Officinale Roscoe) is warm and spicy. Ginger has benefits for many systems in the body including digestive, respiratory and the nervous system. Use Ginger whenever there is excess Vata in the body such as poor circulation, indecision, or cold hands/feet. Ginger is in our Bliss Roller Blend.
For Vata, it is helpful to use roller blends to allow the oil to soak into the skin for added benefits and help with skin dryness. Anytime you are feeling Vata restlessness or anxiety in the evening, diffuse one of our Diffuser Blends and take a break from technology and tv to feel more grounded before sleep.