Whether you are looking to begin a meditation practice in the new year or an experienced practitioner, essential oils can be used during your meditation to calm, ground and help us find presence.
Meditation and aromatherapy are essential parts of an Ayurvedic lifestyle. Through breath and smell, we allow ourselves to be present and embrace stillness. In this busy world we live in, even taking as little as 5-10 minutes daily to breath deeply can have numerous benefits to our physical, mental, emotional and spiritual health.
The Best Essential Oils for Meditation
- Frankincense is one of the most treasured essential oils for spiritual connection and meditation. The aroma is clean, earthy and fresh while promoting tranquility, reflection and introspection.
- Vetiver is grounding with an affinity for the psyche and emotion. The aroma is warm and woody; try using Vetiver with citrus or flower essential oils for a calm, yet uplifting energy.
- Lavender is the ultimate harmonizer. This is a balancing oil, that is great for all doshas, Kapha/Pitta/Vata. Lavender blends beautifully with most other essential oils as it promotes peace and soothing qualities.
- Cedarwood is helpful for anxiety, restlessness and other Vata imbalances. The grounded and stable nature of this essential oil is a perfect way to find stillness and bring focus to the breath.
How to Use Essential Oils for Meditation
Using a diffuser and diffuser blend is a beautiful way full your meditation space with aroma. Simply add drops to the diffuser, turn it on and breathe deeply. By refreshing your space and the air around you, you will set the mood for mindfulness and presence.
Another easy way to create a ritual before meditating is to use a roller blend. At Alevan Botanica, our roller blends are blended with organic carrier oil so you can apply directly onto pulse points such as the back of the neck and the wrists.
Remember, if you are using the pure single note essential oils, almost make sure to use a carrier oil with it such as jojoba oil or sesame oil before applying directly to skin. You can also open the bottle and take three deep mindful breaths as a start to your practice.
Our Favorite Alevan Botanica Products for Meditation
- Serene Roller Blend: This relaxing blend of Frankincense, Cedarwood and Lavender is blended with organic jojoba oil. Take a deep breath and let your day go as you enjoy an evening or sleep meditation. Serene is also a great one to keep in your bag for whenever you need to find a moment of calm throughout your day.
- Soothe Diffuser Blend: This diffuser blend is a customer favorite; featuring Frankincense, Lavender and Geranium to calm, ground and unwind. Geranium add a bit of green earth aroma while Lavender and Frankincense promote feelings of ease.
- Ritual Spritz: Our Ritual Spritz the perfect mist to begin your meditation or yoga practice; simply mist onto your mat, meditation cushion and/or face to invite feelings of zen.
Sticking to a meditation practice is all about creating your ritual, whether that is a certain space, a certain product you use as well as a consistent time of day. Try weaving in essential oils into your morning and evening rituals to help your body and mind enter stillness.